June 1, 2022Agency
How Screen Time Affects Your Health
Watching a bit of TV or scrolling through your social media accounts at the end of the day is a great way to relax and unwind. But like with many things, too much time in front of a digital screen can have some negative impacts on your health. Let’s take a look at the specifics.
- Poor sleep: Staring at a backlit screen right before bedtime can cause a change in your brain’s melatonin levels, making it difficult to sleep at night.
- Weight gain: Spending hours of sedentary time in front of the TV or video game console, often munching on unhealthy snacks simultaneously, can lead to weight gain.
- Behavioral issues: Too much screen time is an antisocial activity, which can lead to poor social skills.
- Emotional issues: Similarly, because excessive screen time is considered antisocial, it can cause emotional issues like depression or anxiety.
- Inactivity: Too much TV limits the time that one can spend actively playing and creating, which is a crucial developmental tool for children.
TVs, computers, video games, smartphones, tablets, laptops and more all play an important role in our daily lives. However, consider limiting your screen time to two hours per day and avoiding screen time right before going to sleep.
Your wellness is important to us. Call Ayala Insurance at 602-277-1900 for more information on Phoenix health insurance.